Sunday, January 9, 2011

Who are you?

Shannon Parrish

parrish.shan@gmail.com

  • Where are you from?
    • I’m from South Florida, but I have lived all over the state, including Gainesville, Tallahassee, Fort Lauderdale and Miami.
  • Why did you come to the University of Florida?
    • I came to the University of Florida to get an affordable education that was close to my family. Plus, almost all of my relatives have come through UF.
  • Major?
    • Journalism
  • Why are you taking this course (besides the fact it is required)?
    • I’m taking this course because I actually enjoy editing. I’m not great at it, but JOU 4201 was the first class I took here in which I felt comfortable. I’m also fascinated by grammar and punctuation rules.
  • Outside interests, hobbies, avocations, things you love to do?
    • I’m an avid reader. I’m always reading or re-reading something. I also love to watch old, classic movies. If my TV is on, then it’s probably turned to Turner Classic Movies. If I’m not watching TCM, then I’m checking out the latest sports scores. I love baseball and football, but, strangely, I would never want to report on them.
  • Tell me one interesting thing about you – something that makes you unique.
    • I lived in Europe last year for about four months. I guess that makes me unique.
  • Are you the first person in your family to attend a university?
    • No.
  • On a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being top-notch, how would you rate your knowledge of grammar, punctuation and AP style?
    • 7.4
  • On the same scale, how would you rate your skills with working with InDesign and PhotoShop and with online media in general?
    • Overall, I would rate myself a 6. But I’m more comfortable with some programs than others.
  • What online skills do you feel you are proficient at?
    • Photo editing and researching/ fact finding.
  • Where do you get most of your news?
    • National Public Radio, New York Times and The Daily Show
  • What books are you reading and have read in the last three months?
    • I’m currently reading “Hannibal” by Thomas Harris, “One Thousand and One Nights” and “Invisible Man” by Ralph Ellison. In the last three months, I have read more books than I can list. My favorites were “American Psycho” by Bret Easton Ellis and “The Bluest Eye” by Toni Morrison.
  • Career Goals? Be specific as possible. Elaborate a bit.
    • After graduation I would like to continue working in public radio. I’m currently a producer with WUFT-FM, and I really enjoy it. Although I would like to stay in the NPR family, I have my sights set on working for an English-language news organization abroad. I’m working on honing my German skills, and I would like to move there in the future.
  • What magazines, newspapers and news Web sites do you read regularly?
    • I read and listen to NPR every day. I even recently added the app to my new Smartphone. I also get the New York Times, Media Matters and TIME to my Google Reader. I also have Google alerts for Florida, Gainesville and Tallahassee.
  • What is your favorite Web site?
    • My favorite website is Jezebel.com.
  • Do you blog?
    • No, I don’t blog regularly.
  • Do you have any media/communication experience? If so, what?
    • I’ve been a part of WUFT-FM for almost two years. I started as a volunteer and then became an assistant producer and now a producer. I also interned with a local bookstore in 2009.
  • Are you pursuing a media related internship or job at this time?
    • Yes, I’m working on getting a television production internship in Tallahassee right now.
  • Do you have an updated resume in your files?
    • Yes, I update my resume whenever there’s something new to be added to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment