Tuesday, April 12, 2011

FOIA Results

1. The Letter
University of Florida News Bureau

RECORDS REQUEST

Dear Records Request Officer:

Pursuant to the state open records act, I request access to and copies of a detailed breakdown of where each and every one of students' tuition dollars goes.

I do not expect any fees.

If my request is denied in whole or part, I ask that you justify all deletions by reference to specific exemptions of the act.

Thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely,


Lily Parkinson

2. The response
Lily:

I received your public records request today for “access to and copies of a detailed breakdown of where each and every one of the students’ tuition dollars goes.”

I am not aware we have such a public record in existence but I will certainly inquire to find out. The University of Florida is required by law to provide existing records to you for your review but we are not required to create a record for you.

I will get back to you in coming days regarding your request. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Janine Sikes
Director of Public Affairs
University Relations
University of Florida
101 Tigert Hall
Office: 352-846-3903/06

3. The follow-up
Ms. Sikes,
Thank you very much for your follow-up to my request. I was wondering if your inquiry into the existence of a document detailing where tuition money goes has yielded any results. Please let me know at your earliest convenience.
Best,
~Lily Parkinson

4. The results
Lily: Thanks for checking back. I have been out of town, only returning today. I will check on it for you. janine

Lily:

The State of Florida considers tuition to a part of appropriations and commingles these funds. Through our budgeting model, we allocated tuition to each college. Attached is a spreadsheet that details how much tuition we allocated to each college. At the college level, this money is commingled with state appropriations, so you cannot tell how much tuition is used to pay each faculty member or operating expense. I hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Janine Sikes

No comments:

Post a Comment